Thursday, April 2, 2015

Accessibility Modifications We Made to the Rig this Winter

Given my MS, below are some photos of things we did to make the rig more user-friendly for me this trip.

I always find the hand-held shower head nozzles to be very thin and slippery, so we added rubber bands to give me a more sure grip.  I think we ended up adding even more as the weeks went on.  It made a world of difference for me!  I sit on a shower seat so I use the hand-held for everything!


As mentioned on the blog before I was bothered by the light coming in from the skylight in the shower in the morning, so this is what we tried first.  It worked pretty well.


In our last rig we had one of these acrylic tissue box holders but never knew where to get more for our new rig.  Low and behold, we found them at Camping World for cheap!  We mounted one in the toilet room and one next to my side of the bed.  Placing the tissue box upside down makes the tissues easier to grab.



This is the Reflectix that Steve used to insulate our bedroom windows.  He got a big roll at Home Depot for about $40.  It's basically big bubble wrap with foil on each side.  I find our bedroom to be hard to keep warm and/or cool, and this really helped on the really cold nights.


This is Steve putting Velcro around the edges of the skylight because the light was still bothering me in the morning. Then he did the same with a big piece of thick cardboard, and now we have a removable skylight cover!


I do a lot in the toilet room sitting down, so Steve hung a floor to ceiling shoe bag right in front of the toilet.  Everything was then at my fingertips!

3 comments:

Karen and Tony said...

There is always another modification waiting to be done! Whether it's for better accessibility or just because - the need to modify comes with owning a RV. :-D

Camping with Robin and Steve said...

I agree! What would we do without another project?

Camping with Robin and Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.