Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day 3 at Passport America Rally

One of the problems many people with MS have is with thermoregulation.  Basically this means we can't warm our bodies well when we get cold and we can't cool our bodies well when we get hot.

This reared its ugly head yesterday here at the Rally.  I got completely chilled spending the time outside with the vendors yesterday, and never warmed up.  It was in the 40's by dinner time, and I just couldn't  muster the steam to get undressed and redressed in warmer clothes to go over to the dinner.  BTW that's another challenge with MS...changing clothes especially later in the day takes a lot of energy that I often don't have.

The other challenge with the dinner is that I have very specific food sensitivities and if I eat the wrong foods, like gluten, I will be up all night with uncontrollable spasticity in my legs. People with MS already battle a certain kind of fatigue, so losing any zzzzzzs only makes things that much more difficult.  There is entertainment every night after dinner but because I don't sleep well at night for a number of reasons, I am ready to start winding down relatively early.

Today is even colder, and tonight there is a hard freeze advisory because the temp is going into the low 30's. So today I unearthed the winter clothes I wore when we left CT!  Argh!  We are going into town because there really isn't anything to do here.  It's too cold and windy to wander around the rigs getting to know people.  The dinner tonight is pizza...not for me!

We might go to a movie, check out a Goodwill, etc.

As for this Rally, I can not say I am impressed with Passport America.  They have day trips planned so during the day many folks are not here so many of the vendors pulled out .  There isn't even anyone here from PA manning their booth!  We chose not to do any of the day trips because they were expensive and quite long, and just getting in here was expensive enough.  And we only have electric...we had to carry our own water in.

So I think what we have learned is that events that  are geared  To eating and entertainment after the meal just don't work for me right now.  It's no one's fault that the weather is not cooperating!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Microwave Heating pads or the hot pockets hand warmers? Hopefully the "winter" weather there has passed.

Camping with Robin and Steve said...

Yes, I think for now temps in the 30s are a thing of the past!