Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sanibel Island, FL

Today was our first beach day since being in Fort Myers.  I had heard that the beaches on Sanibel Island were great for shelling, so that was our destination.

This is a shot going over the causeway to Sanibel.


Our first stop was Bailey's General Store for something for lunch...they advertised gluten-free products.

Then it was onto this establishment that we knew rented beach wheelchais, and who would deliver it to the beach of our choice and also pick it up when we were done with it!


They recommended Bowmans Beach for the best shelling, so we were off!







BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!  There were very few shells!  All I can figure is that we weren't there at low tide, and the beach was swarming with people looking just like us.  We are planning another attempt at a different beach and at low tide.

On the way home we stopped at a seafood place...actually a guy selling out of coolers that our neighbors at the campground told us about, and bought a pound of jumbo shrimp!  We didn't have any cocktail sauce but the guy told us he makes his own by mixing ketchup with horseradish.  He gave us a little container of horseradish and I knew we had a bunch of ketchup packets back at the rig so I made my own! Quite the dinner, and I had enough left over for lunch tomorrow and I froze a container.

Quite the adventurous day!



No comments: