Friday, March 20, 2015

Atalaya at Huntington Beach State Park

This place is very sentimental to me!  As stated previously we camped here for many an April vacation when I was a kid.  One year, sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s, my sister and I were exploring the campground and came across this building covered over with vines, shrubs and palm trees.  We snuck in through a window and went exploring.  To say it was a magical place is an understatement...I thought we had found paradise.

What this turned out to be was the winter residence of Archer and Anna Huntington, long since abandoned and seemingly forgotten.  Anna Huntington is the famous American sculptor whose works are found across the street at Brookgreen Gardens.  

Now the residence is managed by the SC Park Service and they give guided and audio tours.  We did the latter today.  A must do the next time we are here is to tour Brookgreen Gardens!






No comments: